No person reporting an animal welfare concern in good-faith will be subject to retaliation according to the Animal Welfare Act and the University of Iowa Operations Manual's Anti-Retaliation Policy.The humane care and use of animals is of paramount importance to the University of Iowa. Individuals who have specific concerns about the treatment of animals, including animal husbandry concerns, should report their observations to the Chair or Director of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) for investigation.
You may report your concerns by any of the following methods:
Call the anonymous IACUC "hotline" (319-384-1180) and leave a message. Messages are checked daily during normal business hours.
Call 319-335-7985 and ask for the IACUC Chair or IACUC Director.
Address a campus envelope to the IACUC Chair, "Confidential", 400 Med Labs.
Reports may be made anonymously or you may include your name. (By including your name an IACUC representative can update you on findings or contact you for clarification if needed).If possible, please include the following (this information is not required):
- Did you witness the incident first hand?
- In which animal facility (building name and room number) did this incident occur?
- Did the incident occur in the laboratory? Who is the Principal Investigator for the laboratory?
- Names of personnel involved, if known.
- Have you reported the incident to anyone else? If so, when and what action was taken?