All animal shipments to or from another research institution must be arranged through the Office of Animal Resources (OAR), Shipping Coordinator (319-335-7985, email@example.com). Shipment requests require proper forms, health reports, vet review and approval and take a minimum of two weeks or more to process completely.
The arrangement of shipments is weather dependent. The NIH Animal Transportation Guidelines require that temperature extremes are to be avoided when animals are transported. Special precautions or postponements are required when temperatures are below 45°F or above 85°F at any point along the travel route. Temperature-controlled couriers are available. However, due to the substantial cost, use of these couriers must be requested by the Principal Investigator.
Animal Transfers TO the University of Iowa (From Another Institution)
- Fill out the UIowa Animal Import Form A.doc and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forward the UIowa Animal IMPORT Form B.docx to the institution shipping the animals
This form is to be filled out by the attending veterinarian or contact person at the shipping institution.
Email the completed Institution/Investigator Import Form to email@example.com
Once both forms are received, the Shipping Coordinator will request from the shipping institution (1 years' worth of health history, including the most recent report to have been completed within the last 90 days).
- A copy of this notification will also be sent to the contact person in the laboratory at the University of Iowa.
Animal Transfers FROM the University of Iowa (To Another Institution)
- Fill out the UIowa Animal EXPORT Form A.doc
- Forward the UIowa Animal EXPORT Form B.doc to the Institution/Investigator receiving the animals.
- This form is to be filled out by the Investigator or contact person at the receiving institution.
- Email the completed Institution/Investigator Receiving Form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The UI PI's name
- Institution/city to which animals are being shipped
- The receiving Investigator's name
Please contact the OAR Shipping Coordinator (319-335-7985, email@example.com) for requests involving receipt of aquatic species or transfers to/from the Iowa City Veterans Affairs Medical Center.