The IACUC has developed an informational sheet regarding the use of photographic or video recording equipment, including camera phones and other mobile devices, within the vivarium or other spaces where animals are housed, studied, or used for the advancement of research.
Necessary use of photographic or video recording equipment, including camera phones or other mobile devices for scientific data collection, interpretation or presentation should be done with consideration of the following guiding principles.
Use of cameras, cell phones and other mobile devices capable of capturing images of animals or animal facilities through photography or video recording for personal use is strictly prohibited.
Photographic or video recording of animals or animal facilities is allowed only for purposes directly related to the corresponding approved protocol and for vivarium operations or veterinary medical purposes including training or documentation of clinical cases. Images must only be utilized for scientific purposes.
Individuals wishing to take photographs or video recordings of animals should consider the following:
- Images should be necessary to convey scientific data or interpretation.
- Images should only be circulated in appropriate venues such as journal articles, scientific presentations or other professional outlets.
- Captured images should be downloaded to a secured drive and not stored on the camera, video recording device, an unsecured computer hard drive or other unsecured external storage device. Consideration should be given for the secure processing, transport and storage of negatives, disks, tapes, media cards, etc. taken by PIs or lab personnel in the course of their work.
- Any personnel seen in a photograph or video should not be identifiable.
- No references to personal information should be visible in the photograph. Pay attention to background and items such as cage cards.
- No references to The University of Iowa should be visible in the photograph. Pay attention to background and items.
- Animal images should be captured in clean surroundings, clean cages or clean pens with clean accessories. Water bottles and feeders should be full if visible in the photo.
- When imaging live or euthanized animals, capture only as much of an image is needed to meet your (data, publication, etc.) needs. Do not capture the whole animal if not necessary.
- Appropriate handling and restraint methods for the species should be used.
- Vivarium staff is permitted to use photographic or video equipment when the images are being captured for operational or veterinary medical purposes including training or documentation of clinical cases.