The University of Iowa

DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) Information

  • All Principal Investigators who require the use of controlled substances in their research must obtain: a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Registration number, and an Iowa Controlled Substances Application number.

Controlled Substances Information

  • Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) has developed a website for investigators who utilize controlled substances in their research.

                     EHS Controlled Substances website

  • The web site includes a link to the Controlled Substances Guidelines.

                    CSG Link 

  • EHS has created an ICON training course for laboratory personnel who utilize DEA controlled substances.  It can be accessed by going to the “My Training” link on your Employee Self Service web page.  Select “Available Online ICON Courses” then choose the Course “W501CM Controlled Substance Research”.